The Boxtrolls (2014) | Behind the Scenes
via Animation Magazine:
- 1 week; the average amount of time for an animator to complete 3.7 seconds of footage
- 3.5 inches, the cuff-to-cuff measurement of baby Eggs’ sweater (created on an embroidery machine to produce irregular lines, like a hand-knitted garment). His little socks are only ⅝” long
- 4 scenes per week was the goal for each animator
- 14 different fabrics were used in Lord Portley-Rind’s white hat
- 24 kinds of weeds were created for backgrounds by the greens department
- 55 different sculpts of prop cheeses were made; different scale sizes were needed for wide, medium and close shots
The sheer amount of effort that goes into Laika’s films is just overwhelming and it shows in the final product. Their movies are amazing and I can’t wait for this one to hit theatres.
And hey, you gotta love their little pro-LGBT nods as of late — something often tragically missing from kids’ media.